The mission of the AOCC is to inspire and impact the improvement of the education sector by annually convening alumni, students, practitioners, artists, and scholars both from the Harvard Graduate School of Education and across the nation in order to share best practices and cutting edge research on strengthening that practices and competencies of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion that pertains to people of color in educational spaces.
Join the HGSE AOCC LinkedIn Group & Share, Connect, Grow!
Passing the Torch of Knowledge: Movements Toward Liberation Through Education
As we celebrate our 20th Alumni of Color Conference, we honor the historic movements that have come before us and prepare us to launch into the future towards social justice, equality, and liberty for a more equitable and just world. Throughout history, educators have been on the front lines, and have illuminated our classrooms and communities with the torch of knowledge. Join us as we explore historic and contemporary movements in education that have effectively challenged systems, engage experts through collaboration and discourse, and continue the fight toward liberty through education.
- Alumni Achievement Award: Dr. Lynette Tannis
- Tina Hansar Award for Educational Equity: Andrena Mason
- Kolajo Paul Afolabi Award for Commitment to Educational Justice: Cecelia DiMino
- Faculty Award for Educational Equity: Dr. Christina Villarreal
The 2021 AOCC theme Immunity in Community: Resilience in the Face of a Double Pandemic, acknowledged the challenges and celebrated the successes unique to communities of color. We engaged in critical dialogue related to issues communities of color must overcome to gain access to education during COVID-19. In this video you can watch HGSE's Dean, Dr. Bridget Terry Long, welcoming remarks, immediatelly followe by the 2021 Keynote Speaker Dr. Cesar Cruz, Ed.L.D.'16
[Click on the image to the left to watch the Welcoming Remarks & Keynote Speaker video]
- Alumni Achievement Award: Dr. Thomas Nikundiwe
- Tina Hansar Award for Educational Equity: Dinesh Thapa
- Kolajo Paul Afolabi Award for Commitment to Educational Justice: Michael Vázquez
- Faculty Award for Educational Equity: Dr. Aaliyah El-Amin
[Click on the image to the left to watch the video]
- Kolajo Paul Afolabi Award for Commitment to Educational Justice: Tauheedah Baker Jones
- Tina Hansar Award for Educational Equity: Maritza Suyapa Hernandez
- Alumni Achievement Award: Carmen Lopez